Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Richard, Ricky Roo

Last night, my sister arrived at Cobbalot (our house) along with her many books and other belongings and her dog Treya (Blue Doberman). Excitement ensued as Clay's and my three dogs descended the deck stairs and greeted her in our back yard. First to check her out was an excited George (a Border Collie/Black Lab mix) who immediately covered her in kisses and asked her to play. Ricky (mini Schnauzer something mix) quickly butted in with typical terrier style of demanding attention to greet the new comer but was shoved aside by Sabrina ("Bree" Siberian Husky Wolf mix). Sabrina decided to exert her Alpha Female status by sniffing all over Treya, making sure this new pooch would submit to her rulership. However, when she asked Treya to play, things got a little testy. There was confusion (as always) at Sabrina's primitive menthods of communication (harkening back to the long forgotten language of all dog's ancestors: albeit her exponentially closer relations) as she backed Treya into a corner, barked, whimpered and jumped up to push Treya with her front paws. Poor timid Treya did not understand nor appreciate this greeting and snarled back at her. A confrontation was avoided when I exerted my Alpha Female superiority and called Bree down: she sheepishly apologized to me and respectfully let Treya get out of the corner.
Well, then someone offended little Richard. He began a fight which we successfully broke up before it got too bad. I did not expect little, precious Ricky, who meets no stranger, looks so angelically at me and gives me sweet kisses as he snuggles so cutely, to turn so vicious and nasty in a split second. Clay stepped in as Alpha Male, whisked the little white snarling pup from the tussle and scolded the little perpetrator of the crime: for which Ricky trembled violently. The decision was made to kick George and Sabrina inside so Ricky and Treya could work out their differences. They completely ignored each other. Ricky begged to be held and petted: Treya trotted about the yard investigating her new territory. So, we decided to bring George back out and all three of them began to play and run about. Sabrina whined from inside the house, wanting to play, too. Very atypical of Sabrina to beg to be with the dogs. She's a momma's girl though, so, maybe she was wanting to be with me. No more fights broke out. Sabrina and Ricky were still a little on edge but, all settled in nicely as they follwed each other about to make piddle spots to mark their turf. When we all ventured inside, all was well for at least an hour, until Treya wanted to play with George and Ricky snarled at her. I banished him for the rest of the evening to his little bed in our bedroom.
Thus far we have figured out: Ricky must have felt very threatened by Treya: convinced his position as second in command (until he shall one day conquer and rule as Alpha!) would be forfeit and so he keeps trying to put her in her place.
It made me think of ways I have reacted in a similar fashion. Maybe not to their face, but, to any newcomer who broaches on my family/friend pack that I see as a threat to my rank of importance, I am often guilty of snarling at behind their back. Belittling them to others, criticizing them in my head, crumbling, murmuring. Seeing the pups attempt to mask their vulnerability and fears by snarling (except for George, of course, who is the most secure, loveable, oblivious to social tensions, affectionate pup I know) evoked self-reflection in me. I tried to think of ways I have reacted out of fear and my own insecurities. And it is shameful yet a very basic instinct.
One of my deepest fears for as long as I can remember is to be alone and forgotten. Rather ironic phobia for an introvert. But, it is true. I kinda relate to Ricky's fears. After reminding him who is boss last night, I have been trying to snuggle and love on him lots so he can remember how special he is to me. No fights since I started that this afternoon. :) Here's hoping for peace at Cobbalot as we all learn to live with one another!
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment